Facilities Maintenance & Support Specialist
This position is open until filled
Under the general supervision of the HQ Facilities Supervisor the Facilities Maintenance & Support Specialist performs the maintenance and support activities at the headquarters, the Visiting Scientist Quarters (VSQ) facilities and as needed at the summit facility.
- Perform painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical (minor), and HVAC (minor) maintenance.
- Support and perform incoming maintenance tasks identified through the work order systems,
- Perform periodic maintenance PM walk around inspections using the assigned check lists.
- Complete required maintenance documentation on computer or paper checklists.
- Interface with customers and coworkers and provide effective communications and follow ups via in person, email, and phone communications.
- Interface with outside contracted maintenance providers to communicate, upgrade facility and equipment maintenance requirements.
- Assist in performing breakdown and planned maintenance tasks with the Facilities Maintenance and Support Technician.
- Support Transportation daily support activities by assisting with vehicle prep, scheduling, and dispatching as needed.
- Support the Shipping/Receiving activities by processing incoming and outgoing shipments.
- Assist in performing Facilities and Transportation procurement activities through purchasing card orders. Responsible for monthly reconciliation of purchasing card statements.
- Assist in moving and storing items in the warehouse.
- Support event setups and takedowns.
- Support furniture and equipment moves.Operate a forklift.
- Drive, load, and unload WMKO fleet vehicle's as required
- Perform required timely and accurate effort reporting using computer system
- Perform other duties consistent with the scope of this position.
- Act as backup to the Facilities Maintenance and Support Technician.
- Perform backup support for HQ, Summit, and VSQ custodial activities when necessary.
- Respond as requested to after-hour's urgencies and emergencies for HQ facilities issues.
- Four (4) years' general building maintenance knowledge/experience with emphasis on painting and carpentry.
- High School Degree or GED equivalent.
- Maintenance work experience
- Basic computer skills.
- Solid working knowledge of general building maintenance and custodial with an emphasis on carpentry and painting.
- Motivated, self-starter who can manage multiple projects and priorities within a fast paced environment either working alone or in a team environment.
- Experience successfully working and being flexible in diverse team environment.
Certificates and Licenses
- Valid driver's license and clean abstract.
- Be able to obtain forklift training and certification by WMKO.
- Be able to obtain shop power tool training and certification by WMKO.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Communication: Ability to communicate effectively and concisely at all levels.
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to build collaborative, effective relationships with staff.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Willingness to commit to WMKO core values: Safety, Integrity, Respect, Discovery and Service.
- Willingness to commit to WMKO cultural values: Education/Learning, Communication, Teamwork, Rewarding Work Environment, Excellence, Community Involvement.
- Willingness and ability to occasionally work nights and weekends.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This is not a complete list of the physical demands that may be required.
- Stand: Remaining on one's feet in an upright position at a workstation without moving about.
- Walk: Moving about on foot.
- Lift: Raising or lowering an object from one level to another (includes upward pulling. May regularly lift up to 50 pounds. May on occasion lift up to 75 pounds.
- Vision: Color vision - Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Hear: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and making fine discriminations in sound.
- Carry: Transporting an object, usually holding it in the hands or arms, or on the shoulder.
- Push: Exerting force upon an object so that the object moves away from the force (Includes slapping, striking, kicking and treadle actions).
- Pull: Exerting force upon an object so that the object moves toward the force (includes jerking).
- Climb: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and ramps. Body agility is emphasized.
- Balance: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces.
- Stoop: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
- Handle: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands. Fingers are involved only to the extent that they are an extension of the hand, such as to turn a switch or shift automobile gears.
- Ability to pass a high altitude physical.
- Ability to work at the Observatory (14,000 feet elevation).
These environmental conditions are representative of what an employee will encounter while performing the essential functions of the job. This is not a complete list of the environmental conditions that may be encountered.
- Exposure to weather: Subject to extreme cold. Temperatures can be below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions such as wind and humidity.
- Subject to Noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Subject to Hazards: Moving mechanical parts.
- Subject to constrained spaces: Required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Sign Up For Job Alerts!